Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Craft- The Next Generation

Hello fellow crafters and craft supporters!
What's up this week? Well, speaking for myself I've had a crafty few days and yesterday I had a chance to pass on a little of my craftiness. When you were a kid did you know you were creative? Did someone open your eyes to the world of art and craft? I remember a project that I did in kindergarten. It was very simple really, but I loved it. Our objective was to take a large piece of construction paper and create a collage/mixed media piece using fabric, buttons, pipe cleaners and other little objects. I made a bunny. He was orangey and brown with green and mustard buttons all over. I used a lovely piece of vintage fabric (which at the time was not vintage) to fill his body and pieces of bric-a-brac to outline it. This was a really meaningful project for me (obviously) and to this day I can still see that bunny and somehow I'm still working with vintage fabrics, buttons etc.

A young friend of mine visited me in my studio yesterday. She's only 8 years old, but there is really something special about her. She describes herself as very creative and told me about how she's fascinated with the Mona Lisa. Well, that was just about all I had to hear. I invited her to join me for a few projects and my hope was to give her an outlet to express herself and explore various kinds of crafts. At the end of the day we had made several sculptures and partially completed a little dress and some embroidery. I'll be meeting with her again to complete the projects and I hope that I've been an encouragment to her.

Here's a fun project I came up with when I was about 8 years old....
Work on a metal or glass surface that is non-porous and easy to clean. Using markers (not perm) draw a circle or square onto the surface and fill it in with lots of color but not a specific design. Then squeeze regular white school Glue on top of the colored shape you've just made and using a cotton swap or your finger, mix it all around, but keep it in some sort of circular or squarish shape. You should see the colors from the marker mixing with the glue. The glue should be thick, maybe a 1/4 of an inch. When you're happy with the color you're done. Let it dry overnight and the next morning peel it off and punch a hole in it. You have a cute little pendant. It's a fun project for kids that is easy to wash up with soap and water.

That's all for now. Have a great week.
~Superchica

No comments: